International Student Essay Competition: “Views and Perspectives for the Future in the Black Sea Region”
On the occasion of its 25th Anniversary to be celebrated in 2018, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (PABSEC) is organizing, in partnership with the Black Sea Universities Network (BSUN), an Essay Competition for students, on the “Views and Perspectives for the Future in the Black Sea Region”.
The aim of the competition is to bring together young people’s views on the future development of the BSEC Region and to shape the vision for the future of our region, in cultural, political and economic terms. Which are the most significant achievements up to now and what kind of future perspectives have to be taken into consideration? The competition is open to students aged up to 30, from all the BSEC Member States.
The topic proposed for the competition is:
“Twenty-five years of Parliamentary Cooperation in the BSEC Region – Views and Perspectives for the Future” – The parliamentary cooperation in the region has a long tradition. But, after the adoption of the Declaration on the Establishment of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (PABSEC), on 26th February 1993, in Istanbul, the Parliamentary cooperation entered a new phase, by uniting the efforts of the national parliaments, in order to pursue the following goals: to secure the understanding and adoption, by the peoples, of the ideals and aims of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation; to provide a legal basis for economic, commercial, social, cultural and political cooperation among the member countries; to enact the legislation needed for the implementation of the decisions taken by the Heads of State or Government or by the Ministers of Foreign Affairs; to provide assistance to the national parliaments so as to strengthen the parliamentary democracy; to promote the cooperation with other international and regional organizations.
The objectives of the Contest are:
- To provide a unique opportunity for the young students throughout the Black Sea Region, to take part in a regional educational project;
- To promote a sense of regional belonging among young students from the 12 BSEC Member States by their participation in a competition with a topic of mutual interest;
- To give young students from various backgrounds, a platform to express their views about our region and their dreams for the future.
- The essay must be written in the English language.
- The essay should be between 6,750 and 9,000 words.
- The essay must be written with Times New Roman font, size 12 points.
- The composition must reflect the competitor’s own writing and original thinking and any quotations or copyrighted material used in the essay must be identified properly.
The deadline for submission is 31st March 2018.
The essay will be evaluated and selected by national committees in every Member State, by May 2018. The winners will be invited to the PABSEC 51st General Assembly to be held during 19-21 June 2018 in Tirana, where they will be awarded a diploma. Their travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by the PABSEC. The winning essays shall be published in a special issue of the BSUN International Journal “Letters from the Black Sea”.
- STAGE I – Announcement of the competition - January 2018
- STAGE II - Closing date for submitting the essays - 31st March 2018
- STAGE III – Evaluation – May 2018
- STAGE IV – Announcement of the winners – June 2018
- STAGE V – Prize awarding at a special ceremony, during the 51st PABSEC General Assembly, in Tirana, on 21st June 2018.
Entries must be send to the following email address: email@example.com